Georgia Homeowners Insurance

Call an Agent: 770.971.8452


What does Georgia Homeowners Insurance Cover?


Each homeowner has a different set of criteria to meet in order to maintain optimal coverage for their house and property. Whether you have a small house on a large plot of land, a beachfront property subject to the elements, or a chic dwelling in downtown Atlanta with city life considerations to make, you will need a policy to meet the needs of the structure, its value, and its contents.


Need immediate assistance from a knowledgeable source? A Primeco Tripp Insurance agent will be pleased to walk you through the process of choosing the right policy and coverage options when you contact our office.


Contact Us: 770.971.8452

Email Us:


Homeowners Insurance Types


Building Structure

This form of coverage offers reprieve from Mother Nature’s tempter tantrums, allowing you to return the regular day-to-day in a functional, solid building. Structure coverage pays for damage to your house and other structures (e.g. deck, porch, garage).

Let’s say another catastrophic hurricane strikes, and flooding transforms your main floor into a convoluted replica of The Venetian. In a perfect world, your building structure coverage should pay for your gondola to navigate from room to room, complete with a serenade of O Sole Mio to help you cope with the disaster. Realistically, however, it will help to replace the flooring, bring service personnel to remove the water, and cover other repair costs.

Before filing a claim, you’ll want to review your Policy to confirm how exactly your home, garage, shed, gazebo, or greenhouse is covered against damage from natural disasters.


Basic Form Home Insurance (HO-1)


Basic Form or HO-1 homeowners insurance has less coverage for your structures than HO-2 or HO-3. Most shoppers decide on the HO-3 Special Form as it provides more well-rounded protection – to find out more, read on!


Additional Building Structure-related causes covered by Basic Form (HO-1) Insurance Policies include:

  • Lightning
  • Explosions
  • Smoke/Fire
  • Theft
  • Windstorm/Hail
  • Vandalism
  • Damage resulting from aircraft
  • Rioting
  • Damage caused by vehicles
  • Volcanic activity


Broad Form Home Insurance (HO-2)


The homeowners policy we call Broad Form or HO-2 protects against the same perils as the Basic Form policy, with more coverage added. No one should really settle for HO-1, and HO-2 homeowners coverage will help you feel more secure on the farm-stead, suburban multi-story, or at the mobile home, condo, or any other standard architectural dwellings.


Most homeowners choose HO-2 due to affordability while covering more perils than bare-bones. Here are some additional perils included in this type of policy:

  • Falling object
  • Weight from Ice, Snow, Sleet
  • Frozen air conditioner, heating, or other household systems
  • Accidental and sudden damage to household systems (e.g. cracking, tearing, burning, expanding pipes)
  • Accidental water damage from steam or overflow
  • Damage caused suddenly and accidentally from an artificial electrical current


Special Form Policy (HO-3)


HO-3 is the homeowners policy type selected by most insurance shoppers. Why? Because HO-3 policies can save you major out of pocket exposure to numerous perils. Special Form coverage is still priced affordably, and includes all items in the HO2 – Broad Form policy with additional perils.

The best feature of an HO-3 policy is that it does not limit insurance to certain perils named by your insurer. Granted, exclusions and limitations are always a factor with any coverage. Despite any policy restrictions, the HO-3 shines as a greater, more flexible financial protector than HO-2 coverage.


HO-3 policies usually cover:

  • Your house
  • Any attached structures (such as a deck, greenhouse, porch, or garage)
  • Your belongings
  • Your personal liability


HOB Form


HO-3 plans are similar to another homeowners policy, the HOB Form. HOB Policies are ideal for those who live at or own property at one of Georgia’s beautiful beach towns, as they specifically protect against water damage for coastal areas. Ask your Primeco Tripp Insurance Agent about the HOB form policy if you live in the Coastal Plain area like Savannah residents, enjoy your plot on the peaceful Tidal Marshland, or call one of the Barrier Islands home.



Renters Insurance (HO-4)


Tenant’s form, or Renters Insurance covers a limited number of items as it pertains specifically to insuring belongings and providing personal liability coverage. The building structure is insured by the landlord when you are a renter. Belongings are generally insured against the same perils as HO-2 policies for homeowners, including fire, windstorm, theft, and accidental damages caused by household systems.

Rental Coverage is low-cost, and often discounts other coverage such as auto insurance when bundled. Ask your agent about discounts when you call us for a free quote.


Comprehensive Form (HO-5)

HO-5 coverage is ideal when you wish to cover the broad range of perils you could experience, especially weather-related for those in Coastal Georgia. HO-5 is an open-peril policy form, similar to the HO-3, providing insurance for any range of perils except for those excluded by the carrier.


Common Exclusions:

  • Flooding
  • Water damage
  • Mold, fungus, rotting
  • Pets and other animals
  • Earth movement (e.g. mudslide, earthquake)
  • General wear-and-tear, neglect, or deterioration
  • Foundational settling, shrinking, or distortion
  • Damage from rodent/wildlife/insect infestation
  • Intentional Loss
  • Ordinance or law
  • Smog, corrosion, rust
  • Nuclear hazard, war, government action


HO-8 – Older Home Form


Georgia has an ample selection of beautiful historic homes and architecture from all eras. If you own an older home, you’ll certainly acknowledge a need for special coverage. HO-8 is a modified policy to cover specific perils, similar to an HO-3 policy but with policy adjustments to accommodate your home’s older architecture and systems.

Historic homes often use this type of coverage, as well as registered landmarks.



GA Office of the Insurance Commissioner: Homeowners Guide